Responding to claims early, effectively, and tactfully is at the heart of our responsibility as an insurance company. Our claims associates are experienced professionals who are committed to providing high quality claims handling through fair and timely resolution. Your satisfaction with the processing and outcome of your claim is our top priority.
How to Report a Claim
You can report a claim 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Follow these three steps to report a claim.
Step One: Report all Claims
- Immediately report all claims to your agent or to Markel Claims by calling 800-362-7535 or email email@example.com.
- For after-hours emergencies such as death, serious bodily injury, or catastrophic property damage, immediately call Markel Claims.
- Report all claims involving theft, vandalism, or other crimes to the police when they occur. Get the police report when possible.
Step Two: Get the Facts
- Print the Incident Report Form and write down how and exactly where the accident or injury happened, along with the time it occurred.
- Get the names, addresses, and phone numbers of everyone involved. If possible, take pictures at the scene.
- For serious property claims, take the necessary steps to preserve the damaged property and mitigate any further damage. Make temporary repairs when necessary, and keep all receipts.
Step Three: Copy and Submit All Correspondence
- Copy all accident-related correspondence, and mail the originals to Markel. This includes reports, statements, bills, and letters.
- Send all correspondence as soon as you receive it—don’t let it pile up.
- Reference your policy number and claim number on each document.
- If you receive any type of legal papers, immediately call Markel Claims. If possible, fax the documents to us.
- Correspondence related to open claims may also be submitted via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. NOTE: All new claims should be sent to email@example.com.
- If you’re served with a lawsuit, call Markel and ask to speak with a Claims Manager.
- Don’t reveal information about your insurance coverage, other than company and agent’s name, to anyone.
- Don’t admit responsibility for the accident or injury.
- Don’t discuss the accident or injury with anyone other than your insurance agent or authorized representative, Markel associates, or law enforcement officials.
- Don’t give copies of documents to anyone other than Markel associates or authorized representatives.
Markel Claims Card
The Markel Claims Card is an excellent resource to keep Markel's claims reporting procedures at your fingertips in the event of a claim.