What is Markel event insurance?

Frequently asked questions

When should I purchase event insurance?

It’s a good idea to purchase a policy as soon as you begin to pay deposits. Caterers, photographers and other vendors usually require a significant non-refundable deposit up front with the remainder due by the day of the event. Markel's event cancellation coverage can be purchased up to 14 days prior to the event date.  Markel's wedding liability coverage can be purchased up to 1 day prior to the event date.

Does Markel's event insurance provide coverage if the weather forces us to postpone or relocate our event?

Yes. Coverage is provided if weather conditions are extreme enough to prevent the honoree or majority of guests from attending your event.

Does event insurance have a deductible?

Yes. Event cancellation policies have a $25 deductible for each area of coverage. Event liability policies have a $1K deductible for property damage.

Does Markel cover gifts including checks, gift cards, and goods?

Yes. Gifts that are lost or damaged seven days prior to and seven days after the event are covered up to the applicable limit set forth in your policy. There is a $300 limit on cash, checks, and gift cards.

Does Markel event insurance cover special attire purchased for the event?

Yes. The policy provides coverage for special attire that is lost, stolen, or damaged before the event. Some exclusions apply.

What if a guest of honor or immediate family member falls ill or has an accident before my event?

If an accident or illness prevents the guest of honor or an immediate family member from attending the event, we provide coverage, as long as illness is not due to a pre-existing medical condition.

Will Markel event insurance provide coverage if military leave is withdrawn?

Yes. If the guest of honor is serving full-time, active duty in the armed forces, police, or fire department and must postpone the event due to withdrawal of a previously granted leave or unforeseen deployment, we provide coverage.

Are events held outside of the United States covered?

Yes. Cancellation coverage is available for events that are scheduled to take place in Canada, Puerto Rico, or U.S. Territories, as well as in the U.K., Mexico, the Bahamas, Bermuda, and the Caribbean (excluding Cuba). Liability policies are available for events scheduled to take place in U.S. Territories, Puerto Rico, and Canada. Both cancellation and liability policies include cruise ships departing from these locations.

Are we covered if the photography is lost or damaged?

Yes. The policy provides protection if your film or digital files are lost or damaged before you take possession of them. The policy does not cover photographer error such as under- or overexposure.

How do I file a claim?

Call 1-800-236-4252 or visit our events claim page to begin the process. All claims should be reported as soon as possible to avoid delays in processing. Claims regarding theft should be reported to police immediately. If paperwork and documentation are submitted along with your claim, you should expect a prompt turnaround.

Do you have a sample policy?

Policy documents displayed here are samples and are for general information only. There may be variations as required by your state. Please refer to your policy documents received upon purchase for provisions applicable to your policy.

Sample liability policy

Sample cancellation policy