Commercial equine liability

If you perform any of these activities on rented or owned premises, you need a commercial equine liability policy, even if you have other coverage that protects you for general liability exposures.  This coverage is designed specifically for all types of horse-related businesses, such as: boarding, breeding, racing, training, riding instruction, horse sales, horse shows, clinics, personal/pleasure horses and team roping/penning practices.  We also have coverage for independent horse trainers and riding instructors.

Coverage highlights
  • Liability limits of $300,000 to $1million are available for bodily injury and property damage
  • General liability aggregate limits are 3 times the liability per occurrence limit
  • Commercial general liability coverage applies on and off premises in the U.S, Canada, and U.S. territories
  • Fire legal liability up to $100,000 at no charge (in most states)
  • Medical payments up to $5,000
  • Limited professional liability coverage for trainers, riding instructors and clinicians
  • Personal/advertising injury included
  • Products/completed operations included
  • No liability deductible
  • Defense cost paid in excess of policy limit
  • Limited athletic participants coverage included

Additional coverages available:

Care, custody and control

  • Defense and court costs for litigation, and payment for judgements up to the aggregate policy amount (per animal limit applies)
  • $10,000 liability limit for non-owned horse equipment
  • Choose from various limits to meet your needs
  • No deductible applies
  • Available by endorsement to your commercial equine liability or horse farm package policies

Excess or umbrella liability
Coverage is an excess limit of general liability over third party liability coverages. We require the primary general liability policy to be written with Markel. The auto and employers liability can be written with outside carriers. Self insured retention of $10,000.