We're getting a facelift!
Starting February 18, 2019 markelinsurance.com will have a new and improved look. Come back then to see our new user-friendly design, and explore new resources for you and your business.

Instructors and trainers

If you perform any of these activities on rented or owned premises, you need a Commercial Equine Liability policy, even if you have other coverage that protects you for general liability exposures.  This coverage is designed specifically for all types of horse-related businesses, such as: boarding, breeding, racing, training, riding instruction, horse sales, horse shows, clinics, personal/pleasure horses and team roping/penning practices.  We also have coverage for independent horse trainers and riding instructors.

Coverage highlights
  • Liability limits of $300,000 to $1million are available for Bodily Injury and Property Damage
  • General Liability Aggregate limits are 3 times the liability per occurrence limit
  • Commercial general liability coverage applies on and off premises in the U.S, Canada, and U.S. territories
  • Fire Legal liability up to $100,000 at no charge (in most states)
  • Medical payments up to $5,000
  • Limited professional liability coverage for trainers, riding instructors and clinicians
  • Personal/Advertising Injury included
  • Products/completed operations included
  • No liability deductible
  • Defense cost paid in excess of policy limit
  • Limited Athletic Participants coverage included
  • Optional CoveragesCare, Custody and Control – a “must” if you care for someone else’s horse 
Excess or Umbrella Liability (with limits up to $10 million) 

International Liability – covers horses taken outside the continental U.S. to specified countries for shows, exhibitions, etc.