Accident medical coverage
What is accident medical coverage?
An Accident Medical Insurance policy includes two main areas of coverage:
- Accident Medical which includes illness and injury
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment which includes loss of limb
These cover accidental injury or death directly involving:
- Activities that are scheduled, sponsored or supervised by the policyholder
- Premises owned, leased or borrowed by the policyholder
- Travel scheduled, sponsored or supervised by the policyholder
What types of groups or organizations would benefit from accident medical insurance?
There are two different types of accident medical insurance options offered by Markel Specialty; each one is designed for a specific group.
Participant accident medical insurance is purchased by an organization to cover all of its participants. This coverage can help pay for injuries or death resulting from activities or travel that the insured policyholder schedules, sponsors, or supervises. It covers the medical treatment costs for all registered participants, staff, and volunteers for whom premium has been paid.
It can be purchased from Markel Specialty without other supporting commercial insurance policies. A variety of coverage and deductible options are available. Coverage is not available for associations and trusts, extreme sports, and open-to-the-public risks.
Participant accident medical insurance is commonly purchased for:
- Churches - Bible study, mission groups, vacation bible school, choir tour, and youth ministries
- Civic - Scouting, Rotary club, American Legion, Shriners, and Knights of Columbus
- Recreational - Marching band, booster clubs, Boys and Girls clubs, and performing arts
- Volunteers - Habitat for Humanity, Meals on Wheels, hospital, fundraisers, and museums/libraries
Student accident medical insurance helps pay for the cost of medical treatment for a student in a covered accident. This coverage is commonly purchased by:
- Commercial child care centers
- Private, charter, and professional schools
The policy covers the medical treatment costs for all registered participants, staff, and volunteers for whom premium has been paid. Covered accidents may include scheduled, sponsored, and supervised school activities including direct travel to or from these covered activities. A variety of coverage and deductible options are available.
Why should an organization purchase accident medical insurance?
At any sponsored activity, a participant or student may suffer a minor or even serious injury. By carrying accident medical protection, you show the person, their family, and the community that you care by helping them with their medical-related costs.
- An injured person is less likely to bring suit against your organization because your policy has helped them with their medical expenses.
- Also, the insurance pays many of their medical bills quickly and easily so they can concentrate on their recovery.