Your one-stop martial arts insurance headquarters.  

A customizable martial arts insurance plan from Markel Specialty can help you protect your business with property, liability, tournament, accident medical, umbrella, and crime insurance.

Here at Markel Specialty, we aim to provide the right kind of policy that fits the needs of your martial arts school. And we have over 40 years experience addressing questions about martial arts school insurance:

  • What’s kind of insurance do I need for my martial arts school?
  • What types of coverage will be best for my school?
  • What about my special programs - are they insurable?
  • Can I afford good coverage?

Markel Specialty offers liability and property coverage for martial arts schools that teach the following disciplines (depending on curriculum):

  • Aikido
  • Cardio kickboxing
  • Capoeira
  • Goju-Ryu
  • Hapkido
  • Jeet Kune Do
  • Judo
  • Karate
  • Kempo
  • Kendo
  • Kenpo
  • Kung fu
  • Shito-ryu
  • Shotokan
  • Tai Chi
  • Tae Kwon Do
  • Tang Soo Do
  • Wado-ryu
  • Youth Gracie and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (incidental adult)

Why do you need insurance for your martial arts school?

A martial arts school is a unique business. That’s why you need affordable martial arts insurance.

Running a martial arts school is not an easy business. That’s why it takes a special person like you to do it. Not only do you need to make a profit, but you have to keep the safety and well-being of your students at the forefront of every minute.

Markel Specialty also provides:

  • Installment payment plans to make your Markel Specialty insurance even more affordable.
  • Proactive safety resources to help you minimize accidents.
  • Extensive experience handling very sensitive youth-related claims.

What insurance coverages are available for martial arts school insurance?

It’s not a matter of why you need martial arts insurance, it’s a matter of what kind is right for you.

Markel Specialty’s martial arts school insurance can give you the insurance protection of regular business insurance plus the extra protection your school needs to grow and thrive.

Commercial general liability insurance provides coverage if you are sued by someone who claims that you caused their physical injury or damaged their property. You can choose the level of general liability protection you need:

  • $500,000 per occurrence/$1.5 million aggregate*
  • $1 million per occurrence/$3 million aggregate*

Optional liability coverages you can add to your policy:

  • Abuse and molestation
  • Competitions and exhibitions–protection for you when you participate in competitions and tournaments that you do not sponsor
  • Employee benefits liability
  • Off-premises activities
  • Special events and fundraisers for current policyholders
  • Blanket additional insured’s included at no cost–used for landlords for locations on the policy, recitals, performances and demonstrations.

*Per occurrence is the maximum amount paid on a covered individual claim; aggregate is the maximum amount paid on all covered claims combined within the policy period.

Accident medical insurance covers students’ medical bills if they are injured at your school or during activities you sponsor and have no insurance of their own, or their bills exceed what their own insurance pays. Accident medical insurance is sold as a minimum earned premium policy. In the event you cancel your policy, we will retain the minimum premium. With limits up to $10,000.

Insurance coverage for your building whether you own or rent.

Business personal property
Insurance protection for the content and equipment in your martial arts studio.

Business income
If your school is temporarily closed due to a covered loss, this insurance covers your lost income and continuing expenses. Add the business income extension endorsement to get communicable disease and food contamination.

Systems breakdown
Insurance coverage when any mechanical, electrical, or pressure system breaks down. This includes heating and air conditioning systems, computers, boilers, refrigerators, hot water heaters, and telephone systems.

Camps and clinics
If you run a camp or clinic, you may want to consider purchasing this special liability coverage.

Insurance protection if your employee steals money, securities, or other property.

Inland marine
Property coverage for items specifically listed on the policy (also referred to as scheduled property) that may be taken off-premises.

Excess liability
Excess liability insurance provides additional insurance protection that takes effect after you’ve gone above the limits of your general liability insurance. We offer limits up to $5 million.


From helpful tips to coverage options, find the information, advice, and resources you need all in one place.

Protecting your business is our business.

Get a quote online today.