We've walked in your shoes
Markel is rich in history and an icon of entrepreneurial spirit. Since 1930, we have been building dynamic business. We take pride in our entrepreneurial approach and recognize the value of relationships in propelling our growth – both organically and by acquisition. We have a strong commitment to our production partners and extend care and respect to these relationships.
We seek to be a leader in consistently profitable and sustainable niche products managed by professional Program Administrators (PAs) with whom we have enjoyable and enduring relationships.
The Markel Style - How we do business
Our basic qualifications
- It starts with listening.
- All dealings will be open and honest--in both directions.
- All decisions are based upon a “forever” orientation and commitment.
- Undeniable financial security and an undying commitment to fulfill our paper promises.
How we differentiate ourselves and provide a lasting impression
- 50 states
- Admitted and non-admitted
- All lines of business
How you can differentiate yourself with us
- Profit sharing
- Helping you grow
- Helping you keep losses low
- Commitment to eliminate redundancy in our integration
Business we are looking for
- Track record for long-term profitable programs and carrier relationships.
- Equal and adequate measures of underwriting talent and management integrity.
- A demonstrated willingness to let business go when market conditions warrant it.
- A commitment to “win-win” financial models that incorporate mutually beneficial terms.
Our long-term objectives
- Existing programs (start-up programs limited to existing customers only)
- Existing portfolios with $2m in GWP (or higher depending on class) and scalable to $5 mil and above.
- Niche industries
- Unique value proposition
- Multiline-casualty focus preferred
- Workers Compensation provided less than 25% of total premium
- Enhanced brand
Markel Specialty, one of Markel Corporation’s four insurance divisions, underwrites innovative property and casualty solutions for both standard and hard-to-place risks. Success in specialty insurance is about knowing your markets. With 70+ years of experience in our niche markets, our product focus is on commercial programs and personal lines offering admitted and excess and surplus lines solutions. Distribution channels include retail agents, agents specializing in particular product lines, program administrators/MGAs/MGUs, and direct to consumer.
At Markel Specialty, it is our people that make the difference. We are dedicated to delivering customer service in extraordinary and memorable ways that sets Markel apart from our competitors. Our existing products are constantly reviewed and refined to make certain they are meeting the distinct needs of the marketplace. Other competitive advantages are the risk management expertise we share with agents and policyholders in the industry niches in which we compete as well as our financial strength. Independent rating agencies provide detailed reviews of operating results, capital and risk ratios, reserves and other financial results for Markel. Click here for details.