Driving safety statistics
When you think of work-related safety hazards, you probably think about what goes on inside the workplace. But one of the greatest threats to your employees' safety is not in the workplace, it's on the roadways. Even though miles driven, vehicles driven, and population death rates are down (according to the National Safety Council), motor vehicle accidents and deaths are up.
Did you know?
- Every 7 seconds, someone is injured in a car crash
- Over 2 million of those injuries turn out to be disabling
- Many crashes happen during the work day or the daily commute
- Every 15 minutes, someone is killed (about 90 people each day)
- Motor vehicle crashes are the most common cause of workplace deaths in the U.S.
- 1 in 4 fatal work injuries involves a vehicle accident
- Vehicle crashes have far-reaching physical, financial, and psychological effects on employees, their families, coworkers, and you -- their employer.
These statistics are cause for concern. As an employer, you can play a substantial role on reducing vehicle accidents. You can have a written driver safety program in place.
With this policy, at a minimum you can enforce that:
- Safe driving is a top priority of management
- All drivers must have and maintain a safe driving record
- All drivers and passengers must use a seat belt on every trip, no matter how short
- Speed limits are to be obeyed
- No impaired driving, by any means
- Always drive without distractions (cell phone, texting, other distractions)
- All vehicles are properly inspected and maintained in an optimal, road-worthy condition
- Defensive driving tactics are learned through work sponsored training
Supervisors should be trained in driver safety and remind employees about safe driving techniques and be able to answer any question employees may have concerning this important safety issue. One moment of thought can help prevent serious, even deadly, crashes on the roads.
*Markel Specialty is a business division of Markel Service, Incorporated, the underwriting manager for the Markel affiliated insurance companies.
© 2022 Markel Service, Incorporated. All rights reserved.