Key points to remember when driving
As part of your defensive driving program, keep the following key points in mind at all times. By knowing and using the information presented here, you can help prevent accidents from happening. Prevention of accidents is the goal of any defensive driving program, and it all starts with you!
Make sure you understand the following defensive driving tips and that you apply them whenever you are behind the wheel.
- Know the driving hazards you can face on the road
- Be prepared to adjust to these hazards at any time, day or night.
- Maintain your vehicle in good condition
- This is especially important for parts such as brakes, steering, and lights. Have your vehicle serviced when necessary and always take a few minutes before leaving to look your vehicle over for problem areas.
- Always wear a seat belt
- Always wear a seat belt and insist that your passengers do so as well.
- Follow traffic rules and obey signs and signals
- Be especially alert at night for signs and signals that may be difficult to see. This often happens in rural areas where there is almost no lighting at all or in metro areas that have a lot of bright lights.
- Be a safe and defensive driver every day
- Do not let your emotions get the better of you, no matter what the situation may be. Keep cool and calm while operating a vehicle.
- Know how to respond to an accident
- Know the basic steps to first aid should anyone be injured and require your help. Keep your first aid kit stocked up.
This "document” is intended for general information purposes and should not be construed as advice or opinions on any specific facts or circumstances. The content of this document is made available on an “as is” basis, without warranty of any kind. This document cannot be assumed to contain every acceptable safety and compliance procedure or that additional procedures might not be appropriate under the circumstances. Markel does not guarantee that this information is or can be relied on for compliance with any law or regulation, assurance against preventable losses, or freedom from legal liability. This publication is not intended to be legal, underwriting, or any other type of professional or technical advice. Persons requiring advice should consult an independent adviser or trained professional. Markel does not guarantee any particular outcome and makes no commitment to update any information herein, or remove any items that are no longer accurate or complete. Furthermore, Markel does not assume any liability to any person or organization for loss or damage caused by or resulting from any reliance placed on this content.
Markel® is a registered trademark of Markel Group Inc.
© 2023 Markel Service, Incorporated. All rights reserved.