Is your sandbox up to standard?
Keeping a sandbox free of hazards and contaminants is a very important part of any playground safety program.
"Caring for Our Children" recommends the following:
- Construct sandboxes to permit drainage.
- Cover sandboxes with a lid or other covering when they are not in use.
- Keep sandboxes free from cat and other animal excrement.
- Locate sand play areas away from landing areas for slides and other equipment.
- Make sure sandbox covers are adequately secured when they are lifted or moved to allow children to play in the sandbox.
- Use sand that is washed; free of organic, toxic, or harmful materials; and fine enough to be shaped easily.
- Rake sand daily to uncover and remove foreign objects.
- Replace sand often to keep it clean and free of debris.
- Locate sandboxes away from prevailing winds, or create windbreaks by using bushes, trees, or fences.
- Inspect sand for insects and animals that may have taken up residence overnight.
This document is intended for general information purposes only, and should not be construed as advice or opinions on any specific facts or circumstances. The content of this document is made available on an “as is” basis, without warranty of any kind. This document can’t be assumed to contain every acceptable safety and compliance procedures or that additional procedures might not be appropriate under the circumstances. Markel does not guarantee that this information is or can be relied on for compliance with any law or regulation, assurance against preventable losses, or freedom from legal liability. This publication is not intended to be legal, underwriting, or any other type of professional advice. Persons requiring advice should consult an independent adviser. Markel does not guarantee any particular outcome and makes no commitment to update any information herein, or remove any items that are no longer accurate or complete. Furthermore, Markel does not assume any liability to any person or organization for loss or damage caused by or resulting from any reliance placed on that content. *Markel Specialty is a business division of Markel Service, Incorporated, the underwriting manager for the Markel affiliated insurance companies.
© 2022 Markel Service, Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Was this helpful?