Laptops are attractive targets for thieves.
Microsoft suggests these guidelines for protecting your laptop from theft.
- Carry your laptop in a padded briefcase or suitcase, not a computer bag.
- Never leave access numbers or passwords in your carrying case.
- Carry your laptop on the plane rather than checking it with your luggage. When traveling by car, lock your laptop in the trunk.
- Encrypt your data for another layer of protection.
- Watch your laptop as you go through airport security. Many bags look alike and yours can easily get lost.
- If you put your laptop on the floor, place it between your feet or against your leg so you’re aware it’s there.
- Use a laptop security cable to securely attach it to a heavy chair, table, or desk.
- Use a screen guard to prevent people from peeking over your shoulder as you work on sensitive information in a public place.
- If you leave your laptop in your hotel room, put the “do not disturb” sign on the door and leave the TV on.
This "document” is intended for general information purposes and should not be construed as advice or opinions on any specific facts or circumstances. The content of this document is made available on an “as is” basis, without warranty of any kind. This document cannot be assumed to contain every acceptable safety and compliance procedure or that additional procedures might not be appropriate under the circumstances. Markel does not guarantee that this information is or can be relied on for compliance with any law or regulation, assurance against preventable losses, or freedom from legal liability. This publication is not intended to be legal, underwriting, or any other type of professional or technical advice. Persons requiring advice should consult an independent adviser or trained professional. Markel does not guarantee any particular outcome and makes no commitment to update any information herein, or remove any items that are no longer accurate or complete. Furthermore, Markel does not assume any liability to any person or organization for loss or damage caused by or resulting from any reliance placed on this content.
Markel® is a registered trademark of Markel Group Inc.
© 2023 Markel Service, Incorporated. All rights reserved.