Loading and unloading safetyMany facilities use lift trucks to move supplies and other heavy items. Using lift trucks can be very hazardous if safety procedures are not in place, practiced, and communicated. You can use the following guidelines to help prevent accidents and injuries while using lift trucks:
- Ensure that lift truck operators have completed a certified training program and follow all safety rules, including driving at a safe speed.
- Never allow anyone to operate a forklift if his view is obstructed.
- Clearly mark loading zones and inspect them daily for visibility.
- Ensure all lift trucks have a functioning backup beeper and visual backup alert.
- Never allow any unauthorized person to operate a lift truck.
- Police the loading/unloading process for safety and initiate corrective actions as necessary.
- If unauthorized personnel enter the loading/unloading area, immediately stop the lift truck and do not resume operation until they leave.
This document is intended for general information purposes only, and should not be construed as advice or opinions on any specific facts or circumstances. The content of this document is made available on an “as is” basis, without warranty of any kind. This document can’t be assumed to contain every acceptable safety and compliance procedures or that additional procedures might not be appropriate under the circumstances. Markel does not guarantee that this information is or can be relied on for compliance with any law or regulation, assurance against preventable losses, or freedom from legal liability. This publication is not intended to be legal, underwriting, or any other type of professional advice. Persons requiring advice should consult an independent adviser. Markel does not guarantee any particular outcome and makes no commitment to update any information herein, or remove any items that are no longer accurate or complete. Furthermore, Markel does not assume any liability to any person or organization for loss or damage caused by or resulting from any reliance placed on that content.
Markel® is a registered trademark of Markel Group Inc.© 2023 Markel Service, Incorporated. All rights reserved.