Restaurant pest control
Pest control is vital to a healthy commercial kitchen. Infestations ruin inventory and scare away customers. Nearly 3 out of 10 respondents said a cockroach sighting would cause them to leave an establishment and never go back. It is important that you know which pests are threatening your restaurant, where to clean, and how to clean.
The most common restaurant pests
- Beetles, Weevils and Moths are examples of stored product pests.
- Cockroaches can arrive in packaging or enter through very tiny cracks in the doorway or foundation. They can cause food poisoning, diarrhea, asthma attacks and gastroenteritis.
- Flies can enter through open window and doors. These winged pests transfer bacteria and disease and will contaminate food and surfaces.
- Rodents are capable of squeezing through tiny holes and cracks. They are capable of carrying transmittable human diseases and can introduce harmful bacterial kitchen wide.
Common pest areas
- Pay special attention to areas in your restaurant where bugs and rodents are likely to hang out:
- Waste areas - trash cans, recycling bins and garbage disposals.
- Food preparation and dining areas - including waitress and dishwashing stations.
- Storage areas - especially pantries with open boxes or bags.
- Outdoor areas - including dining areas, dumpster locations and parking lots.
Cleaning as defense
A well-run restaurant has a daily cleaning schedule for both front and back of the house employees. However, without special attention to pest hot spots, bacterial invaders will find their way into even the cleanest establishments, therefore:
- Store food products safely.
- Clean dining areas thoroughly.
- Sanitize trash receptacles.
- Keep dumpsters away from buildings.
- Use disinfectant cleaners.
- Get under drain covers.
- Examine the exterior of your building.
Adopt routine cleaning policies to keep invading pests out of your restaurant. Communicate with your staff on the importance of keeping up with the cleaning procedures and instruct employees to take extra care in the areas that are likely to house unwanted visitors.
- Pests in a commercial kitchen can ruin inventory and have a detrimental affect on customers.
- Common restaurant pests include: beetles, weevils, moths, cockroaches, flies and rodents.
- Waste, food preparation, dining, storage and outdoor areas are common areas for pests.
- Maintain a daily cleaning schedule for both the front and back of the house.
- Train restaurant staff on the importance of maintaining a clean restaurant.
© 2022 Markel Service, Incorporated. All rights reserved.