35 questions to ask your florist before your wedding
Flowers are a special touch to help make your wedding beautiful. That is why it’s important to choose a florist that can meet your needs and fit within your budget. To guide you, we put together a list of questions to ask potential florists.
35 important questions to ask a florist
- Is the florist available on the date of your event (or the date you need your flowers)?
- How long have they been in business?
- How many events/weddings do they do each year?
- How many weddings or events are they providing flowers for the same weekend as your event?
- Are the flowers you love in season?
- If the flowers are not in season, can they provide them and what is the additional cost?
- What flowers are in season?
- Can they provide any organic or pesticide-free flowers?
- What design styles do they provide?
- Are they willing to work within your budget?
- Have they worked with your ceremony and reception sites in the past?
- Will they set up the flowers at the ceremony and the reception sites?
- Will they help move the flowers from the ceremony to the reception site?
- Will they provide a mock-up or sketch of your arrangements before the wedding?
- How many consultations do you get?
- How much time does the florist need to setup?
- Will they work with the venue(s) on any restrictions?
- Do they provide other décor besides flowers?
- Is there a rental fee for vases, candle holders, etc?
- Is there a delivery charge?
- What time will the flowers be delivered?
- Will they help pin the boutonnieres on the groom and groomsmen?
- Will the florist provide instructions on preserving your bridal bouquet?
- Will a tossing bouquet be provided, or is that extra?
- When does your florist need the final numbers of people in your wedding party, the number of reception tables and the number of extra corsages and boutonnieres needed for people such as godparents, grandparents, etc.?
- Will they be using any pictures of your wedding arrangements in their advertising?
- Can they provide photograph samples of their work?
- What is their pricing and do they have packages?
- What is the total cost and what is required for a deposit?
- Do they offer payment plans?
- What type of payment can they take – cash, check, credit card?
- What it their cancellation policy?
- Does the florist have insurance coverage including liability?
- Can the florist provide references?
- When does the florist need the final payment?
We hope this list of questions helps guide you in preparing for your big day.
But, even with the best planning, there are situations that can occur that are out of your control. That is why we recommend wedding insurance.
Markel offers wedding cancellation insurance, which reimburses you for lost deposits and non-refundable amounts if you have to cancel or postpone your wedding due to unforeseen circumstances –like your venue going bankrupt or extreme weather occurring the day of your event (think hurricane or tropical storm). Markel’s cancellation coverage can also cover stolen gifts, a wrecked gown, lost wedding rings and extra expense or lost deposits for things like your florist going out of business or not showing up on your big day. Coverage can be purchased anytime at least 14 days before your event, and policies start as low as $130.
In addition, Markel offers wedding liability insurance, protecting you from incidents such as property damage to the venue or injury to a guest. Up to $2 million in wedding liability insurance can be purchased from Markel any time at least 1 day before your event and covers your ceremony and reception, rehearsal and setup/takedown. Policies start as low as $75.