35 questions to ask your wedding DJ
You and your wedding guests look forward to dancing the night away. Music can make or break your big day, so it is important to choose your DJ wisely. To guide you, we put together a list of questions to ask potential DJs.
35 important questions to ask a wedding DJ
- Is the DJ available on the date you need them?
- How long have they been in business?
- How many events/weddings have they provided music for per year?
- Are weddings their main events or do they play at other events or clubs?
- Do they have another event the same day or weekend?
- How much time does the DJ need to setup and take down?
- How long does the DJ play music?
- What equipment do they use?
- Do they have back up plan if their equipment doesn’t work when your reception starts?
- Do they offer other services such as video screens for a slideshow and lighting?
- What type of equipment does the DJ need the venue to provide?
- Has the DJ worked at your venue in the past? If not, will the DJ coordinate their needs with the venue?
- How extensive is their music collection?
- What type of music genre do they have?
- How do they keep their music collection current?
- How does the DJ help you customize your song list?
- Can you provide your own playlist and a “do not” playlist?
- Can they accommodate special song requests from guests?
- How do they get your guests dancing and excited?
- Can they give you a sample demo CD of songs from a previous wedding?
- Does the DJ take breaks? If so, what happens during this time?
- Can the DJ act as an emcee announcing the wedding party, bouquet toss, first dance and other announcements?
- What do they wear?
- Do they offer pricing packages?
- Is breakdown and set up included in the cost?
- What is the charge to play overtime?
- What is the total cost and what is required for a deposit?
- Do they offer payment plans?
- What type of payment can they take – cash, check, credit card?
- What it their cancellation policy?
- Do they require you to provide a meal?
- Does the DJ have insurance coverage?
- Can the DJ provide references?
- How far in advance do you need to book the DJ?
- When does the DJ need your final payment?
We hope this list of questions helps guide you in preparing for your big day.
But, even with the best planning, there are situations that can occur that are out of your control. That is why we recommend wedding insurance.
Markel offers wedding cancellation insurance, which reimburses you for lost deposits and non-refundable amounts if you have to cancel or postpone your wedding due to unforeseen circumstances – like your reception venue going out of business! It can also cover if your DJ goes out of business before your wedding, or even worse, doesn’t show up at your event. Cancellation coverage also offers protection from stolen gifts, a wrecked gown, lost wedding rings and more. Coverage can be purchased anytime at least 14 days before your event, and policies start as low as $130.
In addition, Markel offers wedding liability insurance, protecting you from incidents such as property damage to the venue or injury to a guest. Up to $2 million in wedding liability insurance can be purchased from Markel any time at least 1 day before your event and covers your ceremony and reception, rehearsal and setup/takedown. Policies start as low as $75.
Wedding liability policies as low as $75.
Get a fast, free wedding liability quote online and get the protection and peace of mind you deserve. Or call 800-236-2453 to speak with a wedding insurance specialist.
Notice: As the situation surrounding COVID-19 continues to evolve, we have temporarily stopped offering new event cancellation policies or endorsing event cancellation coverage onto event liability policies. We will continue to evaluate this position over time.