45 questions to ask a wedding planner
45 important questions to ask a wedding planner
- Is the wedding planner available on your wedding date?
- What services does the planner offer (full-service event design and coordination, a la carte or day-of)?
- If they provide full-service planning, what do they need from you?
- Do they provide different wedding packages?
- How many weddings are they working on at the same time as yours?
- Do they have another wedding or event the same weekend?
- How long have they been in business?
- Do they have a business license?
- Are they a certified wedding planner?
- Is wedding planning a full-time job for them?
- Are weddings the main events that they plan?
- How many weddings have they planned?
- How many weddings do they plan in a year?
- What is the average size wedding they plan?
- How many weddings have they planned similar to yours?
- Are they able to help you plan the vision for your day?
- Can they help you stay within budget?
- Do they have a team working with them? What are the team members’ qualifications?
- Will they plan the rehearsal dinner and post-wedding brunch?
- What is their back up plan for inclement weather or illness of their team?
- Have they planned any weddings at your venue?
- Will they be present at all vendor meetings?
- Do they handle contracts with your vendors?
- Do they have preferred vendors?
- Can you pick vendors they have not worked with before?
- Are they able to get discounts from certain vendors?
- If there are difficulties with vendors, does the planner handle them?
- Do they have insurance coverage?
- What time will they arrive for the festivities and leave?
- Do they have photographs to show you of other weddings they have planned?
- Can you come back and see it set up for another wedding they are coordinating?
- How do they handle pressure?
- What challenges have they faced with weddings in the past and how did they deal with them?
- How many meetings do you need to have with the planner?
- How do they best communicate with you?
- How often does the wedding planner keep in touch with you?
- Will they create a timeline?
- How do they communicate the schedule to everyone involved?
- What do they wear if present at your rehearsal, ceremony and/or reception?
- Can they provide references?
- What is included with their fee?
- What is the total cost and what is required for a deposit?
- Do they offer payment plans?
- What type of payment can they take – cash, check, credit card?
- What it their cancellation policy?
We hope this list of questions helps guide you in preparing for your big day. But, even with the best planning, there are situations that can occur that are out of your control. That is why we recommend wedding insurance.
Markel offers wedding cancellation insurance, which reimburses you for lost deposits and non-refundable amounts if you have to cancel or postpone your wedding due to unforeseen circumstances –like your venue going bankrupt or extreme weather occurring the day of your event (think hurricane or tropical storm). Markel’s cancellation coverage can also cover stolen gifts, a wrecked gown, lost wedding rings and extra expense or lost deposits for things like your wedding planner going out of business or not showing up on your big day. Coverage can be purchased anytime at least 14 days before your event, and policies start as low as $130.
In addition, Markel offers wedding liability insurance, protecting you from incidents such as property damage to the venue or injury to a guest. Up to $2 million in wedding liability insurance can be purchased from Markel any time at least 1 day before your event and covers your ceremony and reception, rehearsal and setup/takedown. Policies start as low as $75.