We're getting a facelift!
Starting February 18, 2019 markelinsurance.com will have a new and improved look. Come back then to see our new user-friendly design, and explore new resources for you and your business.

Need insurance for your school?

Get a quote now!


Not all dance insurance programs are created equal.

There are several ways to separate the really good dance insurance programs from the not-so-good:
  • Does the program provide the coverage you need to fully protect your school?
  • Does the company's claims team have experience handling highly emotional claims involving children?
  • Does the company have risk management experts who can help you make your studio safer?
  • Is the company recognized for its financial stability and claims paying ability? Read more.

You need insurance because it protects you from financial loss. What happens if you have a property loss, such as a broken water pipe that ruins your dance floor, or a liability loss, such as when a dancer is injured and sues you for negligence?

If you don't have dance insurance, you have to pay for losses out of your own pocket. Paying to replace a floor is bad enough, but paying for a liability loss is even more expensive. You'd have to pay for a lawyer, and if you lost the case, the damages. Liability cases can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars, so it's crucial to have liability insurance.

Markel offers comprehensive liability and property coverage for dance schools that teach the following:

  • Ballet
  • Jazz
  • Tap
  • Creative movement and/or baton
  • Hip hop
  • Modern dance
  • Traditional dance
General liability
A must for all dance schools, general liability insurance protects you if you are sued by someone who claims that you caused their physical injury or damaged their property. You can choose the level of general liability protection you need:
  • $500,000 per occurrence/$1.5 million aggregate*
  • $1 million per occurrence/$3 million aggregate
*Per occurrence is the maximum amount paid on a covered individual claim; aggregate is the maximum amount paid on all covered claims combined, within the policy period.

Umbrella liability
Umbrella liability provides extra protection for catastrophic events. Umbrella liability goes into effect after you've exceeded the limits of your general liability insurance. We offer limits up to $5 million.

Travel and sponsored competitions

If your school sponsors dance competitions or your students and instructors participate in them, you should consider adding insurance for sponsored competitions to your liability policy.

Excess accident medical

If students are injured at your school or during sponsored activities, excess accident medical insurance will pay their covered medical expenses. You can think of this insurance as a good will gesture--by paying a student's medical bills now, you may be able to avoid a lawsuit later. Note, excess accident medical coverage is sold as a minimum earned premium policy. This means that if you cancel your policy, you will not get any money back.

Our coverage will pay up to $10,000 in medical expenses per student, with a $25 per claim deductible.

Property coverage
  • Buildings: Protects your building whether you own or rent.  
  • Business income: If your school is temporarily closed due to a covered loss, this insurance covers your lost income and continuing expenses.
  • Business personal property: Protects your office furniture and fixtures if they are damaged by a covered cause of loss.
  • Systems breakdown: Protects you when any mechanical, electrical, or pressure system breaks down. This includes heating and air conditioning systems, computers, boilers, refrigerators, hot water heaters, and telephone systems. 
Other coverages

Crime: Covers employee dishonesty, theft of money and securities, and forgery.

Policy and terms are only briefly outlined. For complete details, refer to the policy.

Subscribe Sign up to receive Markel's risk management tips and other announcements electronically.