Markel Specialty offers coverage specifically designed for therapeutic riding centers
Customizable policies to fit your center's needs.
Operating a therapeutic riding center keeps you very busy so you probably don’t have a lot of time to actively research insurance options. That’s where Markel Specialty can help.
Created specifically for the Professional Association of Therapeutic Horsemanship International (PATH Intl) members, our therapeutic riding center insurance can help protect you, your center, staff, and volunteers from the unforeseen and unexpected.
Why do I need insurance for my therapeutic riding center?
Operating a therapeutic riding center can be thrilling, exhilarating, and rewarding. But there are also property and liability risks associated with operating your center. If you have the wrong or inadequate insurance, you could end up with uninsured or underinsured losses ... and that could put you out of business!
Thankfully, you can turn to Markel Specialty for your insurance solution. We’ve collaborated with PATH Intl to offer customizable coverages to protect you and your business.
Here are some actual claims we have paid out to our clients*:
- An insured therapeutic center suffered water damage after a bathroom sink drain pipe corroded and burst.
- A volunteer at an insured center fell off a horse after it bucked. The injury was serious enough that an EMS was called to take the volunteer to the hospital for a neck injury.
- A volunteer at an insured center was walking a horse when another horse spooked and jumped, knocking down the volunteer and causing a broken leg.
Don't wait until you file a claim to find out if you have the proper insurance protection for your therapeutic riding center. Get a free quote today.
*These examples are provided for illustrative purposes only. Any claim submitted under the policy would be evaluated on its own merits and facts compared to the terms of the policy.
Markel Specialty customer
"I have always had a great response with any issues when I contact Markel."
Markel Specialty customer
"You are the only place I know of that provides the insurance I need."
Markel Specialty customer
"With over thirty years in therapeutic riding, all in partnership with Markel, I've always appreciated the ease with which we conducted our business."
What can insurance for therapeutic riding centers cover?
Coverage consists of a $1 million per occurrence general liability policy and an excess accident medical policy available in limits of $10,000, $25,000 or $50,000.
- Your volunteers are included as insureds.
- PATH International Centers that purchase their general liability from Markel Specialty are also eligible for discounted directors and officers coverage, which provides coverage for the club board.
- Commercial general liability available limits: $300k/$900k; $500k/$1.5m; $1m/$3m*
- Coverage includes limited premises, equine liability, professional liability, $5,000 medical payments, and $100,000 fire legal liability.
- Volunteer suit buy-back is an optional coverage that can be added to cover lawsuits brought by injured volunteers (sub-limit $250,000 per occurrence; cost to add is an additional $0.34 per volunteer).
- Commercial general liability covers certain third party bodily injury and property damage lawsuits filed against the center, its staff, and volunteers.
- Excludes products liability.
- Commercial general liability enhancement is available which increases your limits and provide additional coverages.
Dwelling and/or outbuildings can be added to this policy, which converts the policy to a farm package.
Only available for applicant's farm vehicles when writing the liability policy; monoline auto not available.
Available over the underlying Markel Specialty's general liability and may be eligible for auto.
Accident medical covers medical expenses up to the chosen policy limit for volunteers and clients injured during you center's operations.
You can choose from 3 plans:
- Plan A - $100 minimum premium; $50,000 aggregate; $5,000 accidental death and dismemberment benefit; $10,000 accident medical expense benefit for clients, volunteers, instructors/therapists
- Plan B - $125 minimum premium; $50,000 aggregate; $5,000 accidental death and dismemberment benefit; $10,000 accident medical expense benefit for clients; $25,000 accident medical expense benefit for volunteers, instructors/therapists
- Plan C - $150 minimum premium; $100,000 aggregate; $5,000 accidental death and dismemberment benefit; $10,000 accident medical expense benefit for clients; $50,000 accident medical expense benefit for volunteers, instructors/therapists (This plan must be purchased if volunteer suit buyback coverage is added)
*Per occurrence is the maximum amount that may be paid on a covered individual claim; aggregate is the maximum amount that may be paid on all covered claims combined within the policy period.
Frequently asked questions about insurance for therapeutic riding centers.
Background checks, training materials, and education available at negotiated rates.
Markel Specialty is committed to providing the tools you need to help you keep safety first.