The marine insurance leader for over 35 years
You know the risks in your business. Thankfully, so do we.
With over 35 years of marine experience, we understand the risks and liabilities that commercial marine business owners like you are exposed to. Protecting your investment and assets with customizable, affordable insurance coverage is our top priority. With a marine tradesman business insurance policy from Markel Specialty, we can provide you with the peace of mind you and your business need.
Some example business risks that would fall under our Tradesman program include:
- Rental facilities – manual and fishing boats, houseboats, runabouts, and personal watercrafts*
- Charter – includes guides, bareboat, sport fishing, dinner cruises, airboat charters, water taxis, and sightseeing excursions
- Bed and breakfast boats – coverage for floating bed and breakfasts that usually do not move from the dock including yachts, trawlers, sailboats, and houseboats
- Boat clubs – formal clubs, associations, or timesharing groups
- Boat schools – vessels used for instructional purposes in conjunction with a formal school
- Commercial fishing boats – includes small, family-run, commercial fishing operations
- Owner/operator vessels used in a light commercial capacity including:
- Camp or youth organization
- Corporately owned, client entertainment, or employee use
- Dock or shoreline construction
- Fish farm
- Real estate
- Safety or security patrol
- Transport – worker or materials
- Marina-based weed control and work boat
*Our Tradesman coverage protects your rental facility, not the renter.
Why do I need marine business insurance?
When you look at the assortment of businesses that fall under the “commercial marine” category, it’s obvious that this is not a “one size fits all” insurance category. There’s a big difference between a business that rents rowboats by the hour and a blue water sport fishing charter.
That’s why our Markel Tradesman marine business insurance program has been designed from the ground up to offer a broad spectrum of coverage features for a wide variety of marine business uses. Our insurance coverages are designed specifically to help keep your business afloat.
Don't wait until you file a claim to find out if you have the proper insurance protection for your marine business. Find a Markel Specialty marine agent and get a free, no-obligation quote today.
Tradesman insurance customer
"Fast service. Painless experience and fantastic customer service. Couldn't be happier with the way it all went."
Tradesman insurance customer
"Everything was handled quickly and efficiently. I am definitely happy with all the service."
Tradesman insurance customer
"Great customer service. Great adjusters. I highly recommend Markel."
What does marine business insurance cover?
Our goal is to provide you with a customizable commercial marine policy that works for you and your business. And with our 35 years of experience, we can do just that.Coverage for your marine business (available for all usages)
Watercraft and equipment coverage
Helps pay for repairs or replacement of your boat if it is damaged or stolen. Flexible deductible options are available.
Watercraft liability coverage will help pay damages for bodily injury or property damage for which the insured is legally liable through ownership, maintenance, or use of the insured boat. Limits start at $500,000.
Provides coverage for the sudden, accidental, and unexpected discharge or spillage of a contaminant from the insured vessel.
Coverage for the trailer used to carry the insured watercraft.
Business interruption coverage
When a physical loss to a covered property occurs, it can lead to costly downtime. Business interruption coverage helps marine businesses withstand a covered loss so it is "business as normal."
Coverage for bodily injury or property damage while the insured vessel is being used for waterskiing, aquaplaning, or any similar sport in which a person(s) or object(s) are being towed.
Premises or slip liability
"Slip & fall" coverage provides protection for the insured if another person is injured while on the insured's property.
Helps pay for necessary medical treatment resulting from an accident causing bodily injury to any person while in, boarding, or leaving the insured vessel.
Provides coverage for personal items not generally required for the safe operation or maintenance of the vessel (i.e. stereos, cameras, water-skis, sporting equipment, life vest, etc.). Items are covered while aboard an insured vessel, or while being loaded or unloaded.
Emergency towing & assistance
Coverage will reimburse the reasonable cost incurred (up to the limit purchased) if commercial towing assistance is required. Includes delivery of gas, oil, parts or a loaned battery (excluding the cost of items themselves) or emergency labor, while away from safe harbor.
Coverage on a primary basis for fishing equipment while aboard the insured vessel or when it is stored in a locked storage facility. Fishing equipment includes gear and equipment used in the legal taking of fish, including rods, reels, lures, rigs, line, tackle boxes, and related electronic gear.
Uninsured and underinsured watercraft
Coverage will pay for damages you are legally entitled to receive from an uninsured owner or operator of a watercraft (other than the insured watercraft) if bodily injury results from an accident while aboard.
Coverage for paid captain or crew member while aboard the insured vessel.
Preferred charter (sport fishing only)
- Tournament fee reimbursement – reimbursement for the non-refundable portion of a tournament entry fee
- Referral liability – covers legal obligations if the insured negligently refers people to another professional charter and they are injured
- Emergency expense reimbursement – coverage for the lodging and transportation expenses due to a covered physical damage loss, while more than 250 miles from mooring location
- Limited commercial fishing – allows usage for limited commercial fishing
Markel Specialty's resource library is full of information, tips, and guidelines to help maintain a safer environment at your facility.
Marine business insurance doesn’t need to be complicated. Explore our most commonly asked questions about marine business insurance and get the answers you’re looking for.