The marine insurance leader for over 35 years
If you love your yacht, you’ll love our insurance.
For over 35 years, Markel Specialty has been the yacht insurance leader because we provide coverages that fit your yacht and your lifestyle. Our yacht insurance can offer distinct advantages in breadth of risk, coverage features, options, and expertise.
Why do I need yacht insurance?
Whether you own a yacht or a houseboat, we understand your watercraft isn’t a typical boat, and your insurance policy shouldn’t just be a typical boat policy. That’s where we come in. Each Markel Specialty yacht insurance policy can be customized to fit your yacht, your needs, your budget, and your style.
Here are just a few of the advantages of insuring your yacht with Markel Specialty:
- More complete coverage than any other carrier for no additional cost
- Discounts and cost-effective coverage options to save you money
- Flexible payment options
- Experienced yacht underwriters and marine claims specialists who provide prompt, responsive service
Don't wait until you file a claim to find out if you have the proper insurance protection for your yacht. Find a Markel Specialty marine agent and get a free, no-obligation quote today.
Victor S. | February, 2020Yacht insurance customer
"Your underwriters and customer service representatives were professional and helpful. I can't wait to recommend you to a friend or family member."
Thomas E. | October, 2019Yacht insurance customer
"The entire claim process was easy. The customer service was excellent and the communication was timely. Markel made a stressful situation much easier to handle."
Bob R. | August, 2019Yacht insurance customer
"Markel is always there when I need them, so I would highly recommend them to everyone."
What does yacht insurance cover?
Whether you have a yacht, sailboat, sport fishing boat, trawler, or houseboat, if the watercraft is over 26 feet in length, Markel Specialty offers an extensive listing of coverages for you, your passengers, and your yacht.Coverage for your yacht
Hull and equipment insurance protection including:
- Broad navigation limits
- Protect and recover pays reasonable costs incurred when trying to protect your yacht from further damage
- Consequential damage for non-wood yachts–normal wear and tear and deterioration is not typically covered under a yacht insurance policy. However, if your yacht suffers damage from fire, explosion, sinking, or collision, because of one of these conditions, you may be protected
- Ice and freezing damage coverage
- Agreed value for total loss
- Deductible waived on most total losses
- No depreciation on most partial losses
- Automatic tender coverage
Windstorm extra expense
If there is a named storm, watch, or warning, we will share the costs of protecting your yacht.
Personal effects coverage
For all of the “extras” (smart phone, camera, etc.) you physically bring onto your yacht.
Emergency towing and assistance
Coverage for towing expenses if your yacht happens to get stuck in or out of the water, including the delivery of gas, oil, and parts.
Rental reimbursement coverage
Coverage for when your insured yacht is in the shop being repaired.
Coverage if an uninsured boat operator hits your yacht while in the water.
Coverage if your yacht accidentally discharges into your favorite lake.
Coverage for injuries suffered during a boating accident.
Paid crew (Jones Act)
Coverage for those who run and maintain your yacht.
Protection and indemnity
Coverage in the event that you are responsible for injuries to another person, or damage to their boat or property. Wreck removal is included with purchase of hull coverage.
- Boat trailer coverage
- Boat lift and boat house coverage
- Fishing tournament reimbursement for fishing boats
- Fishing equipment protection
- Transit and storage coverage
- Trip coverage
- Trip interruption reimbursement
- Coverage for paid captain and crew
- Personal liability coverage if you live aboard your yacht
Actual cash value coverage (ACV)
Reduce your coverage to ACV, which factors in depreciation of your yacht should you have to file a claim.
We’ll discount your yacht insurance premium during the winter months when your yacht is not in use.
If you can manage minor repairs to your boat on your own, selecting a higher deductible will reduce your premium.
Live in an area that isn’t at risk for a hurricane? You may consider removing windstorm coverage from your policy.
Coverage in case you damage another yacht and/or person (doesn’t require a survey–even for older boats).
From boat safety tips to breaking down yacht insurance, find the information, advice, and resources you’ll need all in one place.
Yacht insurance doesn’t need to be complicated. Explore our most commonly asked questions about yacht insurance and get the answers you’re looking for.